The "Blood in Pee" Campaign is back for the 4th time and is running from 19th July to 23rd September 2018. It is a great opportunity for you and your pharmacy to get involved and raise awareness around bladder and kidney cancers. This is one of the 'Be Clear on Cancer' Campaigns where the aim is to raise public awareness of signs and symptoms of cancer thereby encouraging people to see their GP so an early diagnosis can be made. Around 8,000 people die from bladder or kidney cancer in England a year. Blood in the urine is the main symptom of bladder cancer and a common symptom of kidney cancer. It is often a symptom that is missed so the campaign hopes to increase awareness so everyone checks their pee before flushing. The main message of the campaign is "If you notice blood in your pee, even if it's 'just the once', tell your doctor".
- Other symptoms of bladder cancer include: Urinary tract infection which is difficult to treat or is recurrent and pain whilst peeing.
- Other symptoms of kidney cancer include: pain on side or below the ribs that does not go away and weight-loss.
Most people diagnosed with bladder and kidney cancer are over the age of 50, so this campaign is primarily aimed at men and women over 50 and those in lower socio-economic groups. There will TV, radio and social media advertising as well as posters in public washrooms.
Like with other cancers reducing the risk is paramount and as health Champions you are well placed to support patients to do this, by:
- Advising and supporting patients to stop smoking
- Encouraging a healthy lifestyle which includes having a balanced diet and exercising
- Supporting patients to reduce the amount of alcohol they drink
For more information on the campaign please visit the following websites:
- NHS.UK: https://www.nhs.uk/be-clear-on-cancer/symptoms/blood-in-pee
- Public Health England: https://campaignresources.phe.gov.uk/resources/campaigns/43-blood-in-pee/overview
- Cancer Research UK: https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/awareness-and-prevention/be-clear-on-cancer
- To download and print posters/materials visit: https://campaignresources.phe.gov.uk/resources/campaigns/43-blood-in-pee/resources